Monday, October 17, 2005

KLIA sucks!

First world-infrastructure with third world mentality. And I'm not the only person to testify to that.

Firstly, it is really far from the city. Yes yes, just like all the other airports around the world. But at least they make sure that getting to the city isn't a problem at odd hours and with a price that ensures you don't end up eating rice and salt till your next paycheck.

Just coming back from Bangkok close to mid night, I was tired, sticky and with a churning stomach that was spurting watery mud-like excretion. (and I just initiated Piles High Club with my first dump 30,000 feet above) Thank goodness I was blessed with a nimble, medium-sized body frame with 6-pack abs to achieve the feat of a contortionist, but this was even better - a shitting contortionist.

Well back to why KL sucks. I can vouch that Malaysians are a sneaky, money minded lot. But at the end of the day if it's a win-win situation, everyone's going to close an eye to this disease. I was with Piggy at KLIA, just arriving from a 3-day shopping and eating binge in Bangkok and we had no transport to get back to Subang. It was close to 12am, and ERL service ceases by then. The only choice we had was to take a cab.

As we were approaching the arrival hall, we saw a bunch of well-dressed men (think MIB) with dark coats approaching passengers with an offer to provide hotel accommodation and taxi to the city. Then this short-small-sized Chinese guy approached us. He asked for RM55 to send us to Subang. I haggled the price to RM50 and he agreed. Why RM50? Well because that was the same price we paid to get to KLIA. He told us to follow him, with us naively thinking that he was leading us to a cab waiting outside.

Lo and behold, we ended up at the car park. A burst of suspicious thoughts were running all over my mind. Out of an instant reflex I asked 'You driving us ah?' He coolly answered 'Yes. Even the police personnel at KLIA does this' he answered trying to justify that his act was not laced with any bad intentions. I thought that it was a very smart way to make a quick buck from passengers wanting to get to the city. Doing it on the way back home. And getting paid for it.! What a smart business idea.

As we were chatting with him about his job as a travel agent at KLIA, thinking that we met a new friend, all my friendly vibes quickly dissipated into thin air when I asked him which travel agent does he work at - his answer was 'I don't know' and with a quick change of topic. I can smell something fishy miles away with my sensitive, oversized nostrils that grow extra sensitive nostril hair that can detect a sneaky fishy, son-of -a bitch.

After that, silence filled the air. There wasn't any conversation throughout our journey back. My mind was trying to foresee and quickly come up with a contingency plan just in case he stops at the side of the road with a bunch of his brotherhood bitches to mug us. I wasn't fearing for my safety. But Piggy's.

I was scanning the road looking out for any cars converging at the side of the road. I was constantly observing the driver of our mysterious ride to make sure both his hands were only holding the wheel and nothing else.

As we got nearer to the Subang interchange, in order to throw him of course, just in case he had already planned the whole thing (one in a million chance, but I'm not gonna take any risk tonight) I instructed him to exit at USJ instead of Subang. He did so obligingly. My fears started to subside.

Ok, he didn't have any friends waiting for us somewhere. But there was one last thing he could possibly do. Speed away with our luggage in his boot.

In order to prevent this, as he was approaching the house, I instructed him to stop a few houses away. Don't want any stranger stalking my piggy. (one in a million chance again, but I'm not risking anything). As he stopped parallely to the gate of the house, I made up a story that that particular place is a blind spot, and that he should have his car parked closely to the gate, so there won't be any accident. All this so he wouldn't have an easy getaway. Again he was very obliging. He got down of the car to open the boot. I paid him the money. He left.

Ok, nothing happened! Thank goodness. But what we did was very foolish. Getting into a stranger's car for a cheaper ride back home. Foolish, stupid, and with the saying - penny wise pound foolish. Anything could have happened. There was an opportunity for 1001 things to happen.

So to all of you out there, when you need a ride from KLIA to the city at odd hours, please for goodness sake, get into a taxi or get someone to pick you up. The best option? Get someone to pick you up. Everyone's out there to make a quick buck, or even worse have bad intentions. Trust no one out there.

4 Comments:

Blogger kevinvijaya said...

oh yeah! Shit! I forgot I could get a FREE ride from you. Damn. Next time la heh

2:31 AM  
Blogger Eastern_enchant said...

A lot cheaper the ride?

1:07 AM  
Blogger kevinvijaya said...

It's cheaper. But not that significant la..

6:28 PM  
Blogger mike leong said...

watsap boy in the office below. this is why you should carry a katana around.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home